Thursday, December 26, 2013

Christmas 2. 26 December 2013

image by Kuba Rola
by Pastor Eric Thompson

"But when the fullness of time had come, God sent forth his Son, born of woman, born under the law, to redeem those who were under the law, so that we might receive adoption as sons. And because you are sons, God has sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts, crying, 'Abba! Father!' So you are no longer a slave, but a son, and if a son, then an heir through God."
Galatians 4:4-7, ESV

Abba! Father!
I was blessed as a kid with a good Dad. He worked hard. He loved my Mom. He loved us kids. He loved Jesus. Still does. All of the above! I'm keenly aware there are many who didn't have this blessing and it causes me to value it so much more.
It was also true, however, that I was always a little afraid of him. He was a big guy, in fact, I never did get to be as tall as him. I am the oldest of 2 boys and a girl---five years older than my brother and 12 years older than my sister. I think he mellowed a little with my younger siblings, but I bore the brunt of his disciplinary intensity in my (and his) younger years.
I'm not exactly sure when the transition took place. It happened, though. There came a time when my relationship with my Dad went from being one between an adult and a child to being one where we could talk without a barrier of distance or discipline. He's always had wisdom to share but I was no longer a child in need of rules. The things he had instilled in me had come to maturity. We could simply enjoy spending time together.
In terms of humanity's relationship with the Creator, we know precisely when the transition took place. When the fullness of time had come, God sent his Son. He came to bring us from a place of being under Law---under rule, under discipline---to being adopted as sons and daughters.
This is just the beginning. Being his children, God sent his Spirit into our hearts, thus turning our hearts toward him and allowing us to grow to maturity---able to inherit, possess, and enjoy the full blessings He intends for us. His Spirit comes complete with the incredible, inseparable love that the Father, Son, and Spirit eternally enjoy. Because the Spirit is in us, we have a relationship with God they of the old covenant could never have imagined.

Take some time to consider the following. Perhaps it would be helpful to record your responses in a journal.
A couple days ago Kaysi reminded us of the contrast between keeping lists of behavioral rules as opposed to learning and simply walking in the way of Christ. Do you live in constant fear of violating God's rules or do you enjoy a relationship with him? What is the difference between being under the Law and being in constant fellowship with the Spirit? How does this change things?

Here is a prayer in response to today's text. You can pray this as your own or use it as a prompt for a spontaneous prayer.
Abba! Father! As we come to the day after the celebration of the incarnation of your Son we are reminded that there is a whole new life and eternity that comes from this gift! We want to enjoy the blessings of love and connection for which you have made us, redeemed us, and are restoring us. Thank you for what you continue to do through the presence of your Spirit to bring us to the fullness of joy and freedom that comes from knowing you!

No comments:

Post a Comment